Update Failure with Palworld - Both the AMP and the Palworld instance do not update

System Information

Field Value
Operating System Linux - Debian GNU/Linux 12 on x86_64
Product AMP ‘Decadeus’ v2.4.8.0 (Mainline)
Virtualization Docker
Application Palworld
Module GenericModule
Running in Container Yes
Current State Stopped

Problem Description

Issue

The AMP update issue has been persistent since I saw the update banner but now that the Palworld game has been updated and our steam libraries are updated as I cannot update the server we cannot play.

Reproduction Steps

• Select the Update from the AMP banner in the bottom left corner. This either does nothing, or prompts the update after accepting the backup.
  • select Update on the Palworld instance, appears to initiate the update but after some time nothing has changed and the Update button is still there.
  • After the updates for either AMP or Palworld have “completed” the prompt to update both services persists. Refreshing or logging out then back in doesn’t seem to clear this issue.

So ignoring the AMP just not updating when attempted. The Palworld instance itself is now just not starting again. It seems to be “updating” I see then notifications and then once they clear it just doesn’t initiate the instance again. Is there any dedicated support for this service? Can they attempt to initiate it from their end? I went with this service specifically because I am not familiar with servers and the setup seems easy but the issues with updates isn’t something I can resolve myself.

Just follow the linked instructions to fully update AMP. That will then resolve your Palworld issue

To be frank, I don’t understand the steps above. I have no idea how to access the interface where you can even run the commands. I am entirely new to this and I can’t understand why the buttons to run updates in the panel don’t just, update. Can you tell me how to access where I can run the commands>

I have the same problem. All of my AMP instances are upgraded to 20240404.5, but when I try to start Palworld, it just tries to update and then exits. Never had this issue before - Palworld worked fine until the most recent update.

SteamCMD

14:13:37

tid(1649153) burning pthread_key_t == 0 so we never use it

Redirecting stderr to ‘/home/amp/Steam/logs/stderr.txt’

Logging directory: ‘/home/amp/Steam/logs’

minidumps folder is set to /tmp/dumps

[ 0%] Checking for available updates…

[----] Verifying installation…

14:13:38

UpdateUI: skip show logoSteam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation - version 1709846822

– type ‘quit’ to exit –

Loading Steam API…OK

force_install_dir “2394010”

14:13:39

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public…OK

Waiting for client config…OK

Waiting for user info…OK

app_update 2394010 validate

14:13:40

Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 1.36 (30410983 / 2237883871)

14:13:42

Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 75.38 (1686941657 / 2237883871)

Success! App ‘2394010’ fully installed.

quit

14:13:43

tid(1649183) burning pthread_key_t == 0 so we never use it

Redirecting stderr to ‘/home/amp/Steam/logs/stderr.txt’

Logging directory: ‘/home/amp/Steam/logs’

minidumps folder is set to /tmp/dumps

[ 0%] Checking for available updates…

14:13:44

[----] Verifying installation…

UpdateUI: skip show logoSteam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation - version 1709846822

– type ‘quit’ to exit –

Loading Steam API…OK

force_install_dir “2394010”

14:13:45

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public…OK

14:13:46

Waiting for client config…OK

Waiting for user info…OK

app_update 2394010 validate

Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 1.22 (27265255 / 2237883871)

14:13:48

Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 63.10 (1412214757 / 2237883871)

14:13:49

Success! App ‘2394010’ fully installed.

quit

You need to update the template. Update the instance from ADS and select “I have taken a backup” when prompted.

I tried to update my templates like it says here https://www.reddit.com/r/Amp/comments/19bded7/how_do_i_update_add_amptemplates/ (both with and without :main on the repo specifier). I have a controller/target architecture, if that makes any difference.

On my target, the file /home/amp/.ampdata/instances/ADS01/Plugins/ADSModule/DeploymentTemplates/CubeCoders-AMPTemplates/palworld.kvp has the same sha256sum as the latest template from main, AMPTemplates/palworld.kvp at main · CubeCoders/AMPTemplates · GitHub – ebfdceca8b5d852be24156f531d10209c3e2617d09a2ce6abc5056140ac7d591.

I have stopped and started the Palworld instance several times (including the ADS01 on the target) and I never get any “I have taken a backup” prompts. The problem persists. Any ideas?

What’s the startup mode set to within that instance? Is it currently updating every start?

AMP Core/Startup Mode was set to Do Nothing. I set it to Start and it still tries to update from SteamCMD when clicking the Start button within the instance.

Yeah that definitely means you’ve got the old config, the reason it’s not working is because they changed the name of the executable.

So let’s be careful and deliberate:

• Leave the instance
  • Stop the instance
  • Right click the instance and select Update
  • Select “I have taken a backup”
  • Start the instance again

I followed those instructions to the letter, but never got the “I have taken a backup” prompt when selecting Update on the instance. I’ve only seen that once long ago with a different instance, never with this particular problem this month.

Nothing worked for me except this: ln -s /home/amp/.ampdata/instances/palworld01/palworld/2394010/Pal/Binaries/Linux/PalServer-Linux-Shipping /home/amp/.ampdata/instances/palworld01/palworld/2394010/Pal/Binaries/Linux/PalServer-Linux-Test

Basically, when you told me all they did is change the executable name, I googled the old executable name (it was on a Steam post), and symlinked the new path into the old. This works.

BTW, I did a recursive grep across /home/amp/.ampdata for PalServer-Linux-Test and found it in /home/amp/.ampdata/instances/palworld01/GenericModule.kvp. My GenericModule.kvp sha256sum is 7d308429b251f31d45ec7cb537eb623ad1c255a11c136f27a03f49f120c659bc but I doubt this file is stored in Git (this would be a file that gets customized according to the game you’re hosting, right?)

So yeah, I’m sure I could fix it by manually editing /home/amp/.ampdata/instances/palworld01/GenericModule.kvp and change App.ExecutableLinux=2394010/Pal/Binaries/Linux/PalServer-Linux-Test and just replace Test with Shipping.

But I’m still not sure why the AMP UI doesn’t work for me.

If you didnt get that prompt then you clicked the wrong thing. You should be clicking “Update AMP” here.

The above fix is also the only thing that worked for me also. (note I had to change palworld01 to the instance name, other than that it works)

1 Like

I assure you, “Update AMP” is precisely what I clicked, on the right-click menu for the instance within my controller’s web interface.

Assuming my instance is stopped at the time I click “Update AMP,” I get no further prompts, and I just get some progress bars in the bottom right corner for a few seconds, then they go away. The progress bars say “Performing Upgrade For Instance (instance name)”.

If I try the same Update AMP option while the instance is running, I get the option to “Keep Running” or “Update Instance” (two buttons, red or green). If I click the red button, “Keep Running,” then nothing happens. If I click “Update Instance,” it stops the instance, then does exactly what I described above. Once the progress bars are gone (it takes about 5-10 seconds), the instance appears unchanged and exhibits the same behavior.

I have a different instance on a different target for Valheim (also based on GenericModule), and when I tell that instance to “Update AMP,” it displays a pop-up with one of the options being “I have taken a backup,” like you said. But I am certain this dialog has never appeared for my Palworld instance.

This is what I get on the Valheim instance:

I’m assuming this is the UI you expect to pop up every time a user clicks “Update AMP” on a stopped instance. However, in this case, your assumption is provably incorrect for my Palworld instance. I am not sure if it is a bug in the software, a configuration problem due to something I did, or a bug in the module code; but I am asserting with 100% certainty that the dialog you expect does not appear and has never appeared for Palworld on my system.

Sorry to put too fine a point on it – but in this case, your expectations of your software’s behavior do not match what I am observing as a user, and apparently I’m not the only one (see this thread).

How old is the Palworld instance?

The Palworld instance was first deployed on February 3, 2024, running the latest version of AMP on both controller and target at the time of deployment. And in case it matters, my server does not contain any game mods.

Is AMP in standalone mode, or controller+target?